Cambridge, UK | Full-time | Fixed-term
Riverlane is a research-led start-up that builds ground-breaking algorithms and software to unleash the predictive power of quantum computing. Backed by leading venture capital funds and the University of Cambridge, we work together with visionary chemical, pharmaceuticals and materials companies to develop billion-dollar applications using quantum advantage.
About our internships
Our internships are designed to enable current students in a quantitative field to translate their skills and expertise into an industrial setting. You will join us at our office in Cambridge, UK, where you will have the opportunity to work alongside our team of software developers, mathematicians, quantum information theorists, computational chemists and computational physicists – all experts in their fields. Every intern will have a dedicated supervisor and will work on a project designed to make the best use of their background and skills whilst developing their knowledge of quantum computing. We will support all interns to try and produce a concrete output by the end of the internship e.g. a paper, product, or software tool.
Riverlane offer two internship schemes, one aimed at undergraduate and master’s students, and another aimed at PhD students.
What you will do
- Develop an understanding of quantum algorithms and industrial applications of quantum computers
- Research, devise and develop algorithms and software to enhance Riverlane’s capabilities
- Contribute to one or more projects that are core to Riverlane’s scientific goals
- Discuss ideas with colleagues and communicate research in the form of presentations and reports
- A current undergraduate (at least third year) or master’s student in a highly numerate subject, such as a science, mathematics, computer science, or a related technical field
- Experience with at least one general purpose programming language
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving ability
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to take initiative and to work well as part of a team
Interns receive a competitive stipend. We will also pay for any expenses incurred as part of your role e.g. travel to meetings or conferences etc.
How to apply
Please upload a CV and covering letter. The covering letter should explain why you are applying for the internship and what skills and experience you can bring to the role. Our summer internship start and end dates are flexible between June and September 2020 – please let us know your preferred dates when you apply.
If you have any queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Everyone is welcome at Riverlane. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from eligible and suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender reassignment, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, or pregnancy and maternity/paternity.
Please submit your application by 21 February 2020. Interviews will be held in Cambridge or via Zoom during the week beginning 2 March 2020.
All internship candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
We require a signed agreement from you assigning the ownership of any IP produced during your internship to Riverlane.
Apply for role →