Cambridge, UK | Full-time | Permanent
Riverlane is a research-led start-up that builds ground-breaking algorithms and software to unleash the predictive power of quantum computing. Backed by leading venture capital funds and the University of Cambridge, we work together with visionary chemical, pharmaceutical and materials companies to develop billion-dollar applications using quantum advantage.
You will join our cross-disciplinary team of software developers, mathematicians, quantum information theorists, computational chemists and computational physicists – all world experts in their fields. Our collaborative, close-knit team has a track record of delivering high-quality R&D across the full quantum stack. As an early stage start-up, you will have the freedom to think independently and creatively, as well as contribute to Riverlane’s business development.
We offer a competitive benefits package, including equity options, and will cover the cost of getting you to Cambridge.
About the role
You will join our research team working on new quantum algorithms, circuit compilations, state preparation and ansaetze for quantum chemistry. Your results will be implemented in Anian, our software product that calculates quantum chemical properties on quantum computers. Collaborating with end-users from academia and industry, your work will make quantum computers useful for real-world problems.
What you will do
- Lead quantum algorithm development projects at Riverlane
- Maintain an excellent overview over the literature in the field, identifying the strategically important and scalable results
- Understand and lead the development of new industrial applications of quantum computers, tailor algorithm development to these opportunities
- Manage work with some of the world’s leading hardware groups so that quantum programs can be run on current and next generation quantum processors
- Build Riverlane’s international standing through writing papers and presenting results at conferences as appropriate
- Contribute to business development and the strategic direction of the company.
What we need
- PhD in quantum technologies or quantum information theory, ideally with a focus on algorithm development
- A minimum of two years’ post-doctoral experience
- Evidence of creative, high-quality academic work
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, with a track record of communicating scientific results to colleagues and other audiences
- Experience working both independently and in a research team
- Passion for translating academic expertise into an applied industrial setting
Even better if you have…
- Experience of leading a research team and/or managing junior researchers such as PhD students
How to apply
Please upload a CV and covering letter here. Your covering letter should explain why you are applying for the job and what skills and experience you can bring to the role.
If you have any queries, please contact email@example.com.
Everyone is welcome at Riverlane. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from eligible and suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender reassignment, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, or pregnancy and maternity.
Apply for role →